[TriLUG] quickbooks vs sql-ledger TANGENT 2cents

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Jun 18 14:09:03 EDT 2004

> the problem lies in the fact that, at the current time, we are a
> small company and do not have the development bandwidth to
> concentrate on other browsers, as 98% of the visitors to our site use
> IE (the other 2% being Mac users).  I am a OSX user, and have
> implemented functions that overlook the IE requirement, and allow
> OSX.  Just this morning I received another email complaining about
> the IE requirement (he was a linux user too).  Apparently that was
> all the fodder that i needed to spend the couple of hours "fixing" it
> so that it also allows Linux (until this time, we have had no linux
> users).  But, we still cannot guarantee that the site will function
> properly under another browser because all the testing budget goes to
> IE (even in safari, some of the page layouts are wacky).

ok, one more time...you DON'T design a website around a browser, you
design it around WEB STANDARDS.  ding ding ding ding ding!  the size of
the company is irrelevant.  the percentage of visitors who use browser
X is irrelevant.  standards exist for a reason, and if you make a
deliberate decision to ignore them, then you get you deserve.

until your company recognizes this, you will never have me as a client,
nor will i ever recommend you to anyone else.

jason