[TriLUG] dotted username?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Jun 21 08:54:17 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

>-snip-
>

>>investigate the virtusertable feature, in postfix investigate the
>>virtual_maps entry in main.cf for basically the same functionality.
>>These files allow you to define this type of setup as simply as:
>>aaron.joyner at example.com   asjoyner
>>brian.henning at example.com   bahenning
>>etc
>>

>That's great, sounds like what I was looking for..  My only other question
>is, will that still allow them to use their mailbox name (brian.henning) as
>the POP username (for their MUA's account settings) or will they have to use
>the unix name (bahenning)?
>
>~Brian

UNIX username.  Not really much way around that unless you start getting
crazy with cyrus imapd, which I think can support username mapping in a
similar style, but it's not often used.  Mail client setup doesn't
happen very often, and usually happens with the aide of someone
compotent or at least decent documentation, so it's not considered to be
much of a problem.

Aaron S. Joyner