[TriLUG] asterisk cpu requirements

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 16:21:07 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 14:00, Wing D Lizard wrote:
> Jon hinted that it needs to be fast.  What is the reason for this?  I
> have say two trunk lines and two extensions.  I'd like to use it for
> a smart answering machine, handle maximum of two calls at a time,
> and maybe a voip call.  I'm planning on using the digum hardware.
>
> has anybody got this running on a low end cpu?
>
> what size memory is required.  I have an old dell I'd like to use,
> I think it is 400mhz p3 with 384Mb.
>
> b\375

Check out this site - it details case studies with minimum Hardware
Asterisk installs:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+setup+minimum

According to that site, you should be just fine.

======
The Asterisk Wikik is here:
  http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk

In particular you might want to look at some subsites...

This sub-site is devoted to helping you pick the right size PC and
accessories to get your Virtual PBX working the way you want it,
Dimensioning an Asterisk system:
  http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+dimensioning

This sub-site is devoted to known good/bad hardware and motherboard
combinations in use with Asterisk and Digum equipment:
  http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Hardware

This sub-site has various hardware recommendations for all kinds of
setups, Asterisk hardware recommendations:
  http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+hardware+recommendations

Good Luck - Jon Carnes

BTW: you'll find some great info all over this Wikki, like for instance,
did you know that Vonage uses Asterisk servers for their Voicemail?  Or
that most CLEC's (FeatureTel included) use Asterisk servers for internal
switching and as gateways to other CLEC's.