[TriLUG] asterisk meeting last saturday

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 23 10:16:49 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 00:22, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
>

> > I've dealt with this issue a lot in our setup and I can tell you that
> > 911 is a fscked up setup. There is only "trunk" access to the various
> > sites - you can't dial a regular phone number and access a 911 center.
>
> Jon, could you elaborate on that?  Back when I worked for Brunswick
> County 911,  you could indeed access the 911 center using a regular
> phone number...  those lines were nominally for "administrative"
> purposes (fire departments calling to get call times, etc.) but they
> rang into the consoles just like a regular 911 line, including
> ANI/ALI info and everything..
>
> TTYL,
>
> Phil

Unfortunately those lines are not given out for us (our Vonage, or
Voicepule, or Packet8, ...) to use. Though some of the alternative
carriers have had some luck working individually with centers in various
areas.

We have the capability on our switch of sending 911 calls either to a
monitored phone number or down a special trunk. We have to send them
down a dedicated trunk to a PSTN provider and pay them a special fee for
911 connectivity.

We would love to have dialed access directly to each of the 911 centers
in our area. That would save us a lot of money and setup time for each
customer. If you have a list of publicly usable numbers for those
centers I would love to see it!

Jon Carnes