[TriLUG] Kernel Updates Broke Stuff.. Help!

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Sat Jun 26 22:22:12 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 21:49, Brian Henning wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I've never seen a kernel update cause this much trouble, but then
> maybe I'm just inexperienced..  Anyhow, here's the deal:
>
> Right now I'm running FC1 with kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.  The most
> up-to-date kernel build is 2.4.22-1.2194.  However, when I try to boot
> with the .2194 build, modprobe can't find ntfs or freentfs modules, and
> X won't start (it just respawns over and over until it gives up..  I
> think it's the nvidia module failing to load, but I don't remember
> exactly right now).
>
> So..  Why does a kernel update break module loading?  I have to admit
> that kernel business is sort of FM to me currently anyway, so I don't
> really have much idea what to do or where to start fixing things..
>
> Thanks y'all,
> ~Brian

Brian,

Two things... first the nvidia module is built on the kernel that you
have running when you installed the driver.  The way to fix that is to
boot to init 3 (either change it before you reboot or change it on the
grub line by editing grub on reboot and adding init 3 on the kernel
line).

Now the ntfs and freentfs modules are not included in the kernel by
default so it is not surprising that they are not found.  Suggestion
with those is to put a # in front of them or ignore them until you
reboot to the "new" kernel and get them rebuilt.

For the nvidia driver- rerun the .run file that you used to install it
in the first place and you will be fine.

Matthew Lavigne