[TriLUG] Is BellSouth DSL service better than Time WarnerCable connection

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 29 08:05:44 EDT 2004

Jon,

Two things.  First, Time Warner Cable (TWC) and Time Warner Telecom (TWTC)
are two different companies, for all intents and purposes, running separate
networks.  So please don't apply TW Telecom's status to that of the TWC
broadband network.

Secondly, TWC has recently rolled out a new service:  Digital Phone.  This
service has required us to clean up our network and the cable plant
significantly.  Most TWC customers, even those who have long had trouble,
have seen improvements in their cable modem service since this effort began
a number of months ago.

Tayfun, if you're having trouble with your cable modem connection, and do
not believe that you're getting the speeds that you should be, my first
question would be to ask if you've contacted support about this problem.  If
not, you really need to log a call to them, and ask for someone to come out
and check your cable connection to see if there is a plant issue that is
causing you to see the reduced speeds.  Additionally, finding out if your
neighbors are experiencing the same problems is helpful, because it helps to
determine if the problem is isolated to your house, your tap, or your cable
node, and gives the cable techs some place to start looking for problems.
The significantly reduced speeds you're reporting should be traceable.  Do
make sure, however, that you are free of any viruses, zombies, or Trojans if
you have any Windows boxes in your network.  Those could cause significant
speed problems for the remaining boxes on your network, as they may eat up a
massive amount of bandwidth by sending emails and other malicious traffic.

If you have trouble getting through support to get a tech out to your house,
let me know.  I won't guarantee that I'll be able to do anything to help,
but I can certainly try.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--