[TriLUG] Is BellSouth DSL service better than Time Warner Cable connection

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Jun 28 22:23:21 EDT 2004

TWTC recently did a reorganization (redesign) of their internal network.
My best guess is that they are getting ready to roll out some new types
of services.

Unfortunately (read as: in my opinion), they have done a botched job of
it.  From what we are seeing, packets are being encapsulated (and
fragmented), so that the internal routers and switches are doing twice
the work they used to do for the same load.  This is highlighting all
the weak spots in TWTC's network.

Our DSL customers with SouthernBell and Verizon are all doing very well.
No problems. In fact the SB customers are seeing better service and less
latencies.

So while TWTC becomes a victim of their own success, the monolithic
Bells seem to be rising to the challenge of the current load.

BTW: my best guess as to what TWTC is prepping for - Video/music on
demand via your internet connection, maybe even video conferencing...

Jon Carnes