[TriLUG] Individual file size limit w/mkisofs?

Brian Weaver brianweaver at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 4 00:10:17 EDT 2004

Has anyone had a lot of experience using mkisofs to build DVD iso
images? I splurged for an HP i420 DVD+-R/DVD+-RW/CD-R/CD-RW drive when
I had my last failure in my RAID array. I decided that the only way I
would do consistent backups would be to have a high capacity writer in
the machine.

Right now I'm trying ot backup a large compressed image (uncompressed
it's greater that 4.7GB). When I build an image with mkisofs and this
single 3.9GB compressed file I can mount it on loopback, but the file
size is all wrong. However if I split the compressed chuncks into 700MB
files mkisofs works with all the split images in the file.

Does anyone know what the largest individual sized file can be on a
DVD/CDROM image?

-Weave