[TriLUG] Streamlined distro build for laptops and workstations

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 13:23:19 EDT 2004

    I am looking for information and people's experience in getting
any particular distro/hardware combination to install on a laptop or
workstation such that a non-IT customer would say it "works" for them.
 Before people start foaming at the mouth, let me define what I mean
by "work."  In this context, "work" means "do work," as in a business
desktop OS, spreasheets, web with java and flash, etc.  Stuff people
want.
    I have been able to acheive that balance and efficiency with
Linux, but not without having put a lot of time and energy into it.
Too often, getting a new Linux build to "work" is an exercise in
configuration and debugging.  Reconfig and debugging is obviously not
something that everyone has the time or desire to do, so I'm looking
for best case suggestions.  Obviously, configuration often depends
upon requirements, but I'm looking for the closest thing to that
"configuration utopia."
    I've heard good things about Mandrake, but haven't tried it yet.
Fedora is no where near what I need and RHEL aint exactly free.  I am
doing this for my nonprofit that will serve other nonprofits, so cost
is key, but I need to strike a balance between low cost and
functionality.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt