[TriLUG] Reccomendations for training? and certification?

Supple.Joe at epamail.epa.gov Supple.Joe at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Jul 8 14:05:29 EDT 2004

<delurks>

Hi folks

Does anyone have suggestions for linux training?  The seas have parted
and I have the oportunaty for training - if I find a suituable local
place.

My background / level of experience is I have been a unix admin for
about 5 years, and I have done a setup or two of linux in the past, none
for production till these last couple of months.

One thing I need some training on is sendmail and administrating it.

As far as which flavor of linux ... We have started running Red hat 9
for the application that we went to linux for.   ... just before support
stopped for RH 9.  We will likely go to Red Hat enterprise since I am
limited to a few operating systems that have standard configuration
documents.

Though this is likely a stretch ...
Since I am considering training, I am wondering about the various levels
of certification.  As I am completely unsure of what is out there I
wonder if these pieces of paper worth the effort?  Are they a
"must-have" in the linux world?  (There are no real applicable
certifications in the flavor of unix we use)

Thanks for the info.  Btw, it will be difficult to respond quickly since
I am on the digest and won't see messages and then out of town after
that.

Joe

Joseph Supple
NNES - National Notes and Email Support
CSC ITS-EPA Team (OAO)
Supporting the Environmental Protection Agency
79 TW Alexander Drive, Bldg 4201
Research Triangle Park, NC, 27709
Telephone: 919-767-7278
Fax:            919-767-7093