[TriLUG] Re: TriLUG Digest, Vol 12, Issue 11 - Message 1

Michael Prorock mfproroc at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 11 12:22:19 EDT 2004

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:27:53 -0400
> From: "Jim Ray" <jim at neuse.net>
> Subject: RE: Reply to Matt, message 3,	Tue 6 Jul. [TriLUG] Streamlined
> 	distro build for laptops	andworkstations
> To: "'Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list'" <trilug at trilug.org>
>
>> difficulty is, that unless you have decent hardware, it tends to want to
>> do just a little too much for you, and has a tendency to run even slower
>> than win2k
> [JR>] I'd rather pay $325 for decent hardware, load Mandrake/KDE and
> have a
> smoking system than pay $1000 in MicroPutz licenses *and* another $325
> for
> decent hardware.

Granted, but why use mandrake, the download version is limitted, and you
can wind up with a far more 'smoking' system by simply taking an extra
half an hour or so to configure a more flexible distro correctly for your
needs.  That's the beauty of linux, isn't it, that you don't need mandrake
or any other particular distribution to wind up with and absolutely
beautiful KDE box?

Mike