[TriLUG] Re: TriLUG Digest, Vol 12, Issue 11 - Message 1

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sun Jul 11 22:49:09 EDT 2004

Michael Prorock said the following on 6/11/06 12:28 PM:

> Granted, but why use mandrake, the download version is limitted, and
> you  can wind up with a far more 'smoking' system by simply taking an
> extra  half an hour or so to configure a more flexible distro correctly
> for your  needs.  That's the beauty of linux, isn't it, that you don't
> need mandrake  or any other particular distribution to wind up with and
> absolutely  beautiful KDE box?

No, if you want you can take the instructions in the Linux From Scratch
howto and do everything yourself.  However, some of us aren't quite that
masochistic.  Instead, we're quite content to let someone else (the person
or company that creates the distribution) do the hard work for us.  The
download edition of Mandrake, btw, is in *no* *way* limited at all.
True, it doesn't have some commercial software that comes with the purchased
edition, but then again, neither does Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, etc...
In addition, the integration between KDE, Gnome, Windowmaker, E, etc...
in Mandrake is second to none.  And, Mandrake is just as flexible as
any other distribution out there.  I use Mandrake on everything from
my desktop to my internet server and it works very well on all of them.
So, don't dis it without at least trying it yourself (which, btw, it's
obvious you haven't done).

Cheers,
Tanner