[TriLUG] Proud papa of a new Sharp Zaurus

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sun Jul 11 13:24:09 EDT 2004

Okey, so I've made the plunge. I've bought and older Sharp Zaurus model,
Sl-5500 (still in the box, new!). So I'd like some "fatherly" advice
from anyone out there that has experience with it.

Here's what I want to do:

It will primarily be my PDA, but I'd like to check email on it, and surf
the web a little. I don't want to fire up the ol' laptop when I just
want to check what's on TV (tv guide for ex.), or to check my trilug
email. So I need a wireless card. Which one works best for you? I'm
looking at the MA701 from Netgear.

Also, I want it to sync with Linux AND Windows. That's one reason I
bought the 5500, not the 5600. By default, it will sync with Linux, esp.
Evolution. I know there are issues with the original Zaurus ROM but
everyone I've looked at, including the updated Sharp ROM kill my sync
with Linux. That's not acceptable to me. Does anyone know of a
replacement ROM image that will allow both Windows and Linux sync as
well as run most of the Zaurus software including Handicom Office?

Thanks in advance,
Roy
:)