[TriLUG] Mandrake business server- opinions?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun Jul 11 21:26:39 EDT 2004

virtually all of my clients are currently (or soon will be) running
mandrake.  after using redhat for a couple of years, i switched to
mandrake and have been extremely pleased with it, both as a desktop and
a server.  it has proven to be stable, secure, and easy to manage and
update.

- excellent implementation of KDE (unlike rh/fedora - i don't care for
gnome and i don't care for bluecurve)

- standard command line tools work as they should, unlike suse (witness
the useless useradd command, among others)

- a huge collection of RPMs are available, most of them right on the
CDs.  *WAY* more than rh/fedora deliver

- a "loaded" kernel with lots of available modules (when trying to
rescue a client's mac hard drive a few months ago, mandrake was the
only distro that could read the HFS+ filesystem out of the box)

- urpmi, though a tad difficult to get working sometimes, does a great
job of handling updates, rpm dependencies, etc

- a fast, flexible, powerful installer.  far more flexible than
fedora's, and accomodates network installs much better than suse's

i've tried almost all of the major distros out there and mandrake has
the best pro/con ratio (debian was close though).  and this isn't just
an academic discussion for me either, my business depends on my ability
to install, configure, and manage linux servers.  if they fail - i
fail.

jason