[TriLUG] Cary Swapfest Planning

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Jul 13 18:15:48 EDT 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> I'd like to have copies of AFU Knoppix
> to give out too (http://www.afu-knoppix.de/) becuase it has all
> the ham radio stuff built in too, and if possible, I'd like to
> have a demonstation station there. ... (I need to see if I can modify
> it to default to engish
> instead of german!)

I reworked an AFU Knoppix CD that boots to a default language of English
recently.  I have a CD of it sitting beside me on my desk as I write
this.  I spoke with Bill Geschwind (who has been attending meetings
regularly as of late) to see if he could translate some of the manuals,
etc that come on the disc for us, but I have yet to find time to provide
him with the materials.  :)  So perhaps later tonight I can get those
stripped off and sent to him.

> AFU Knoppix has stuff to
> do soundmodem so if we can find a laptop or desktop that works,
> we should be able to run a packet station at the table.

I think is a great idea.  See below for how I can contribute.

> So, what I'd like to know is, who can bring what?  We need
> some people to bring (and possibly burn first) copies of
> Fedora, Mandrake and Knoppix.  I can work on Mandrake and AFU
> Knoppix .  Who can bring machines to act as burners?
> Aaron, is there any chance of getting those spiffy LCDs you
> brought to the RARSfest? O:-)

I would say it's highly likely that I can bring the LCDs again (perhaps
better ones :) ).  I will bring my snazzy desktop, and I'll make sure
it's got a capable distribution on it with CD burning utilities this
time.  :)  I'll be bringing my PowerBook as usual, and I should have my
Nextel goodness along with me also (so we'll have wireless broadband, if
the building allows us to get a signal).  The snazzy desktop should be
more than capable of doing softaudio packet, so that should cover that
aspect - but we'll still need a radio w/ compatible inputs.
Unfortunately, this I can not provide.

> Finally, I'd like to see if the people volunteering for the
> swapfest can get together sometime, possibly for lunch, so
> that we can go over stuff and make sure we're all on the same
> page.  Can the people that volunteered make it to Crazy Fire
> in Cary on Friday at around noon?

I am free on Friday for lunch, and it is now tentatively on my calendar,
pending confirmation from others.

Aaron S. Joyner