[TriLUG] Cary Swapfest Planning

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Tue Jul 13 22:14:21 EDT 2004

Aaron S. Joyner said the following on 7/13/04 6:15 PM:

> I reworked an AFU Knoppix CD that boots to a default language of English
> recently.  I have a CD of it sitting beside me on my desk as I write
> this.  I spoke with Bill Geschwind (who has been attending meetings
> regularly as of late) to see if he could translate some of the manuals,
> etc that come on the disc for us, but I have yet to find time to provide
> him with the materials.  :)  So perhaps later tonight I can get those
> stripped off and sent to him.

Sweet!  Aaron, you rock. :-)  Did you happen to keep a list of what
you had to do?  That might be handy to know.

> I would say it's highly likely that I can bring the LCDs again (perhaps
> better ones :) ).  I will bring my snazzy desktop, and I'll make sure
> it's got a capable distribution on it with CD burning utilities this
> time.  :)  I'll be bringing my PowerBook as usual, and I should have my
> Nextel goodness along with me also (so we'll have wireless broadband, if
> the building allows us to get a signal).  The snazzy desktop should be
> more than capable of doing softaudio packet, so that should cover that
> aspect - but we'll still need a radio w/ compatible inputs.
> Unfortunately, this I can not provide.

I think I can provide a radio.  I have an HT that I can use
and I think I can rig a cable between it and the radio.  The
question is, what do we do about the push-to-talk (PTT).  I see
two scenarios.

1) I set up the cable with an interface I got a radio shack that
    does VOX so we just don't worry about it.
2) We try to figure out what control lines on the parallel port
    (or serial port) the program is using and create a cable that
    will work with that.

I'm open to suggestions on which would be better.  I probably have
all the cables to do #1 already, but I'm not sure how easy it would
be to get the vox working.  #2 would be more ideal from that standpoint,
but I'd have to create a custom cable (which wouldn't be too bad, since
I'm already in the process this week of creating a cable for this radio
to hook to a TinyTrack3 (http://www.byonics.com/).

Also, tonight at the Durham FM Association meeting they had a presentation
on APRS (which we might consider doing instead of packet?!?) and I was able
to borrow the antenna they were using there for use at the table.  It's
a telescoping jpole in a coffee can with a variable air capacitor to
help adjust the SWR.

> I am free on Friday for lunch, and it is now tentatively on my calendar,
> pending confirmation from others.

Cool.  Who else can come? :-)

Cheers,
Tanner