[TriLUG] Mail ???

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Jul 15 08:19:38 EDT 2004

Hugh Crissman wrote:

>So, if I take this approach, where does it leave me in the future if I
>decide to setup my own mail server and/or use squirlmail/webmail?
>
>Hugh
>
>On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 23:46, Jason Tower wrote:
>

>>just trying to follow the minimalistic unix approach :-)
>>
>>postfix is not what you need.  fetchmail will, uh, fetch mail from the
>>pop account and save it somewhere (mbox, maildir, whatever).  then your
>>mail client can read it.  i'm pretty sure you can set fetchmail to send
>>messages thru procmail, which can invoke spamassassin and do sorting,
>>etc.  i haven't used fetchmail much lately but there are plenty of docs
>>out there.

It leaves  you "sitting pretty".  In order to set up the system as it
has been described (with fetchmail, postfix, optionally spamassassin and
or procmail, etc) you will have done most of the hard work of setting up
an email server.  They only changes that will have to be made are likely
DNS changes, and perhaps some very minor changes to postfix (depending
on how you set it up initially).

For more information including design ideas, FAQs, etc check out the
fetchmail home page:
http://catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/

And when in doubt, read the actually quite complete manual:
http://catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-man.html

Aaron S. Joyner