[TriLUG] OT: Word to the wise about e-mail blocking on RR

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Jul 20 14:25:54 EDT 2004

Joseph Tate [jtate at dragonstrider.com] wrote:
> RoadRunner seems to have implemented a burst e-mail blocking policy:
> last night I attempted to upload a few thousand e-mail messages to my
> new gmail acocunt.  I unfortunately had the rr smtp server set as the
> relayhost, and therefore each message (sent via GML
> http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/) was sent through that server.  Well,
> after about 1300 messages, the RR server started returning the following:

Well, you just sent 1300 messages through their server, I'm not
completely surprised.  Here's the text from that page:
<quote>
If you have received the error message below, Road Runner has detected
an unusually large volume of e-mail coming from your Road Runner e-mail
account, probably due to a virus on your computer. In an effort to
protect customers and the rest of the Internet from e-mail spam coming
from the Road Runner network, we have temporarily limited your ability
to send e-mail via the Road Runner outbound mail servers for today.
</quote>

I can't really fault them too much.

Mike
--
"Spare me your space-age technobabble Atilla The Hun!" --  Zapp Brannigan