[TriLUG] OT: Word to the wise about e-mail blocking on RR

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Tue Jul 20 14:23:18 EDT 2004

Mike Johnson wrote:

> Joseph Tate [jtate at dragonstrider.com] wrote:
>
>>RoadRunner seems to have implemented a burst e-mail blocking policy:
>>last night I attempted to upload a few thousand e-mail messages to my
>>new gmail acocunt.  I unfortunately had the rr smtp server set as the
>>relayhost, and therefore each message (sent via GML
>>http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/) was sent through that server.  Well,
>>after about 1300 messages, the RR server started returning the following:
>

> Well, you just sent 1300 messages through their server, I'm not
> completely surprised.  Here's the text from that page:
> <quote>
> If you have received the error message below, Road Runner has detected
> an unusually large volume of e-mail coming from your Road Runner e-mail
> account, probably due to a virus on your computer. In an effort to
> protect customers and the rest of the Internet from e-mail spam coming
> from the Road Runner network, we have temporarily limited your ability
> to send e-mail via the Road Runner outbound mail servers for today.
> </quote>
>
> I can't really fault them too much.
>
> Mike

Ahh, but these were all to a single address, and very disparate content.
  Now, I'll concede that running an evolutionary algorithm on the sever
might be a little resource intensive, but not out of the realm of
possibility.  Also, don't many spam and viruses have their own smtp
servers, and therefore bypass any relayhost completely?  Now, I'm not so
much pointing fingers, but putting out a warning for anyone else who
decides to do something similar.  Set your transport map up before
trying this.

My outgoing capabilities will be restored tomorrow, and it's only a
minor inconvenience (for me).  Just hoping someone else can learn from
my mistake.

Joseph