[TriLUG] dhcp issues

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 16:10:42 EDT 2004

I believe what you are looking for is dynamic DNS.  Windows uses its own
protocol to talk to each other, meaning you dont even need a DNS server
for a windows doamin to be able to talk to each other.  We attempted to
get dynamic DNS working at our office with no luck.  However, we establish
DHCP reservation and then put that IP and hostname in DNS.  Resolves both
ways now.
--cgb

--- Jon Fraley <jfraley at glenraven.com> wrote:
> We have converted our network to dhcp.  The window clients seem to be
> okay. However, in converting our linux(RHEL 3.0WS) to dhcp the linux box
> will not register its name in dns.  It gets an IP okay, the nameservers
> and searchdomain is correct.  I can ping the IP but not the host name.
> What should I look for?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

=====