[TriLUG] dhcp issues

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jul 20 20:37:20 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Chris Bullock wrote:

> I believe what you are looking for is dynamic DNS.  Windows uses its own
> protocol to talk to each other, meaning you dont even need a DNS server
> for a windows doamin to be able to talk to each other.  We attempted to
> get dynamic DNS working at our office with no luck.  However, we establish
> DHCP reservation and then put that IP and hostname in DNS.  Resolves both
> ways now.

What you say isn't wrong per se, but dynamic DNS "normally" refers to a
DNS zone set at an outside party, such as dyndns.org, easydns.com, etc.
This is commonly used to update your DNS record for a server behind a
dynamic IP connection such as cable modems or DSL.

However, the original poster is on a LAN and has control over the DNS and
DHCP servers.  With the Windows DHCP server, it's possible to configure it
to update the Windows DNS server with hostnames as it gives out leases.  I
think that's what he's done, but hopefully he'll clarify.  With this
setup, the clients simply need to idenfity their hostnames, and the DHCP
server will give out any IP address, but then register it with the DNS
server.  See my other post (and David's) for ways to tell Linux to send
the hostname in the DHCP request.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy