[TriLUG] dhcp issues

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Tue Jul 20 16:18:17 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 04:02:08PM -0400, Jon Fraley <jfraley at glenraven.com> wrote:
> We have converted our network to dhcp.  The window clients seem to be
> okay. However, in converting our linux(RHEL 3.0WS) to dhcp the linux box
> will not register its name in dns.  It gets an IP okay, the nameservers
> and searchdomain is correct.  I can ping the IP but not the host name.
> What should I look for?

Windows servers pass to a DHCP server their hostname which can be used
to register them dynamically with DNS.  By default, linux dhcp clients
don't do this.  For example, with "dhcpcd" you need to pass it the "-h
hostname" parameter to get it to register with dynamic DNS services
associated with windows DHCP or ISC's dhcpd.

David