[TriLUG] dhcp issues

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jul 20 20:33:25 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Jon Fraley wrote:

> We have converted our network to dhcp.  The window clients seem to be
> okay. However, in converting our linux(RHEL 3.0WS) to dhcp the linux box
> will not register its name in dns.  It gets an IP okay, the nameservers
> and searchdomain is correct.  I can ping the IP but not the host name.
> What should I look for?

I think you will need to tell dhclient to send the hostname to the DHCP
server.  (I assume the DHCP server on Windows is automatically updating
the DNS server, correct?).  According to dhclient.conf(8), you do this by
placing something like this within the interface{} stanza:
	host-name "andare.fugue.com";

I think that you can also specify the hostname in the DHCP settings
through redhat-config-network, and that should generate the appropriate
setting above.  Keep in mind that if you do edit dhclient.conf manually,
it might be overwritten by such utilities if you run them later.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy