[TriLUG] A File server dream...

dsandif dsandif at email.unc.edu
Fri Jul 23 09:24:55 EDT 2004

Hi all
 got a question for ya,

I am in the process of setting up a new file server using Redhat AS .
Currently, this is what I have done under Disk Druid.

/dev/hda
    /dev/hda1    /boot    ext3    502    1    64
    /dev/hda2    /swap              800    65    166
    /dev/hda3    /            ext3    5005    167    804

Free           Freespace        13163    805   2482

/dev/hde
    Free            Freespace        286103

/dev/hdf
    Free            Freespace        286103

/dev/hdg
    Free            Freespace        286103

My goal is to setup a RedHat file server on a windows network. This
server will be used not only by windows machines, but also Macs, Unix
and Linux  machines as well; functional in a static ip environment.

I want to make folders and\or home directories for individual users,
specific to them rights and permissions-wise and give each user 5 gigs
to work
with. I also want a social share folder so that users can swap data and
files and I want to have a large dump area  for temp storage of large
data
projects and\or emergency situations..

My question to you all is given what you see here, how would you go
about configuring this setup? I have gone to the following web sights to
see how to do this, and I am reading up on Samba 3 but I was wondering
if someone might have a different recommendation on this. Thxs.

D-

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3362001

http://computer-vet.com/tech/linuxfileserver.html

http://www.pcquest.com/content/linux/handson/199030103.asp