[TriLUG] Upgrade from LVM 1 to LVM 2

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Jul 27 07:21:50 EDT 2004

I'm hoping that someone else has gone down this path already, and can
show me some of the traps.

I am running a machine with 2.4.24, raid ( md ) and lvm 1. This is a
Debian platform.  I just downloaded a 2.6.7 kernel source, configured
and compiled it. ( and installed! )

When I brought it up, I discovered that LVM didn't work.  Some research
showed me that I needed to install LVM 2 ( and Disk Manager ), which I
did.

A restart later, I discovered that vgscan was unhappy about my major
piece of real estate -- the whole reason that I started out with LVM.

The message in particular says that there is a duplicate PV and goes on
to talk about the two components of the mirror.  Frankly, I'm not too
surprised that it is duplicated, but I don't understand why LVM is
trying to look at it as seperate parts.  Trying to go ahead and mount it
anyway, mount complains that it has a bad superblock, or bad filesystem.

fdisk shows me that the individual disks of the mirror have correct type
codes, 0xfd, for automatically recognized RAID partitions.

Fortunately, I found that when I went back to the old kernel, everything
worked again, as it should.  However, the reason that I was going to the
new kernel in the first place, was that I have added a second SII SATA
card, and the 2.4 kernel doesn't seem to recognize drives above G. (
/dev/hdg )

Any bright ideas?  Is the LVM 1 -> LVM 2 an incompatible upgrade, is it
one-way, or is there any easy fix?

Thank you,
Brian