[TriLUG] Linksys Wireless Access Points

Dave Sorenson dave at logicalgeek.com
Wed Jul 28 08:46:20 EDT 2004

These devices are not totally plug and pray and forget. Since they use
unlicensed spectrum, they can be finicky to other device operating in the
same or similar frequencies (microwaves, GHz cordless phones). The FCC views
these devices as allowed but if they experience interference, that's too
bad. Of course if they cause interference with licensed devices the WAPs
will be required to cease and desist said interference.

 If you are using multiple AP's in an area, or there are multiple devices
you don't have control over, you need to make sure they are not all on the
same channel, or in my experience directly adjacent channels. Download a
network sniffer, find out what channel the AP's around you are on and choose
a channel to broadcast on that is as far away from the existing ones as
possible.

My WAP11 has been running without a hitch since February. Since I have it
plugged into my UPS not even power issues have rebooted it. I wonder how
good the wall wart transformers are at protecting from power spikes? Is
anyone who has had issues with the WAP11's using UPS or are they plugging
straight into the wall?

Dave S