URPMI repositories (was Re: [TriLUG] Favorite yum/apt repositories)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Aug 13 10:06:29 EDT 2004

Joseph Tate said the following on 8/13/04 12:45 AM:

> Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> | http://www.urpmi.org/easyurpmi/
>
> <troll type="no_response_needed">Yeah, too bad all the server
> suggestions suck, unless you happen to be in Europe.</troll>

Joseph, that's beneath you.  If you had bothered to look, you would
have noticed that there are more USA servers in each list (except
for PLF, but that's for legal reasons) than any other country.  But,
I suppose you'd rather just spew unconfirmed falsehoods.

> If you couldn't tell, I'm not very satisfied with urpmi.  I've yet to
> find a *reliable* set of urpmi repositories, and I've been through the
> easyurpmi thing at least three times, though there appear to be more
> sources there now.

You probably went through the period where the mandrake repositories
got reorganized.  Yes, they did change the directory structure on all
their repositories when 10.0 came out, but they also changed their
entire structure of how their distribution worked.  Red Hat did the
exact same thing for RHEL.  If you want a reliable urpmi repository,
try the one I use: raven.cslab.vt.edu.  It's located nearby at
Virginia Tech, it works well, and it's been very reliable for me.

> The fact that a third party site must be used to set up urpmi to get it
> working at all should be a big red flag; at least FedCore comes out of

Why do you see this as a) a third party site and b) a red flag?  It's
the official urpmi site, and is done by the same guys that do urpmi for
mandrake.  That hardly constitutes a 3rd party.

> the box able to update--though only if the server is not too slammed.
> Of course with Fedora mirrors, the repository info (read RPM header
> directory) is mirrored with the rest of the RPMs, so therefore any
> mirror becomes a yum repository automatically.  I've found that
> partially true with Mandrake mirrors, which are pretty rare in this
> country.

Go look at the list again.  There are more USA repositories than any
other country.

> It still burns me that there's no flat file configuration for urpmi
> sources like up2date or yum.  I also hate having to download the entire
> package info list (seemingly) every time, instead of incremental
> changes.  There is hope though, yum seems to work ok on Mandrake with a
> little work, and there are repositories available...

 From what I know, apt has to download the entire package info list
each time it updates too.  Are you saying that yum does not?  And
for why it takes a while to download (which, btw, you can automate
and have it download every night while you sleep), Mandrake has way
more packages than Fedora could ever dream of.

Cheers,
Tanner