[TriLUG] Connectivity to china

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 16 12:17:39 EDT 2004

Um.. most of my links and documentation from that project were retained
by Agere.  Here's a little information on some of the recent changes:

There was once a great wall between China Telecommunications and
competition. But in hopes of improving telecom service, the Chinese
government has created a rival to the state-owned incumbent
local-exchange carrier and broken up its monopoly. China
Telecommunications, known as China Telecom Group, once the nation's
only provider of fixed-line local and long-distance phone services, has
been split into two companies. The surviving China Telecom, through its
subsidiary China Telecom Corporation , operates networks in provinces
in the south and west of China. Its newly created competitor, China
Netcom Group , operates in provinces in the north

So depending on where in China the company is I would contact China
Telecom or China Netcom.  They should be able to fill you in on all the
details.

Other links that may be of some use are:
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/
The Chinese Embassy in the United States

and

http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/default.htm
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China

I'd still start with the telecom companies.

<shameless plug>
Your company wouldn't need an US/Asian consultant or company rep, would
you?  Granted I only speak about three words of Chinese, two of
Japanese, and enough Korea to get by but I'm a fast study on foreign
languages.  And spending some quality professional time in Asia would
be fantastic. ;)  If needed I could provide some Korean references.
</shameless plug>

Greg