[TriLUG] A job that was passed to me, out of my area, some of you may want to try for it.

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 10:21:24 EDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 11:38:14PM -0500, Marty Ferguson wrote:
> I certainly would not waste my time pursuing something like this.
> I need to pay my bills, and not waste my time on this kind of hype.
> As much as I could do the work with my hands tied behind my back,
> I would never get past the filters.  Unless I lie.  Which I could.  But
> I won't.

You confirm what I thought might happen with this job posting: a
qualified person will not seek the opportunity because the employer
is being too restrictive.  We could say fsck'em or we could tell
them why they will probably fail in their search as it is currently
defined and that we would be glad to meet them for lunch to explain
why.

Another issue of the temporary work surfaced but that issue did not
bother me since I regard all work as temporary.  The only
benefit I expect is to be paid the agreed upon sum upon completion
of the agreed upon task.  The other stuff, healthcare, dental, vision,
unemployment insurance, workman's comp., retirement, 401(k), vacation,
etc., is diminishing over time.  In fact, benefits cost reduction
leads companies to make older employees walk the plank.

Just last night
I learned about another friend who was told to walk after 18 years
of employment. She's hell-bent on going into real-estate.  Haven't
talked to anyone that pumped in a long time.  No salary and no
benefits. Cool. Hope the enthusiasm lasts while shes paying the dues.

Then I talked to two IBMers.  I asked them if they were training
their replacements yet :).  Unfortunately, they were aware of
outsourcing-like activities going on around them.

<snip>
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.