[TriLUG] A job that was passed to me, out of my area, some of you may want to try for it.

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 10:39:36 EDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:09:51AM -0700, Bob Evans wrote:

> > >My brother, the CPA (geekness runs in the family),
> > recently moved
> > >from the plastic credit business to the healthcare
> > business.  I was
> > >floored that he was able to port his basic skills
> > from one industry
> > >to another.  In the IT and engineering world such
> > portability is
> > >rare.  The stratefication is stifling.
> > ><snip>
> > >

> I've been programming professionally since '79, on
> everything from IBM mainframes, to all flavors of
> UNIX, to PC. The kiss of death for me is: my entire
> career has been in banking.
>
> When bofa riffed me in 2002, I tried to break out. Got

Hey! You'll have some Fleet folks to talk to soon :(.

> an interview with Schneider Trucking and a couple
> insurance companies in Greensboro, but actually got a
> job at a bank. I can't break out.

Ya see?  Even if you offer to go back to square one
it's not an easy sell.

I've got telecom stamped on my forehead. (Stop laughing.)

More cost-cutting in telecom is on the way.
It is well known that the biggest cost in all markets is
labor.  The number 5000 may or may not be relevant.

> =====
> Bob Evans        bobevans19 at yahoo.com   (read weekly...)
> alternate        reevans at bbandt.com     (read daily M-F)
> 704 562-7166 mobile
> 704 954-3415 office
> 704-882-6214 home...last resort, please
>
> There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.