[TriLUG] Apache innaccessible from outside of home router

Victor Snesarev vnsnes at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 08:55:41 EDT 2004

I know this subject has been discussed to death on the net, but nothing
I was able to google up helped.

Here's the network:

---[CableModem]---[d-link 713p router]---[PC IP=196.168.0.122]

PC running FC2 Linux 2.6.5-1.358 and Apache 2.0.49.

I can reach the sample Apache page from a different computer on the same
196.168.0.xxx subnet, but cannot reach it from the outside world using
the router's IP address.

httpd.conf is set up to "Listen 8888" and port 8888 is forwarded to
196.168.0.122 by the router.

In fact, I know that outside requests reach the PC because Ethereal
shows a short TCP session when I try to reach the PC from outside the
router. I compared it to the TCP session from the local home LAN and saw
something odd. The TCP handshake from the outside connection looks like
this:

Router-to-PC  SYN
PC-to-Router  SYN,ACK
Router-to-PC  RST  (terminate)

A handshake from a local LAN PC completes fine and Apache serves the page.

This almost points to the router, but I am not sure where to go from here.

Just for reference, I am not running iptables or ipchains (I don't think
it's even installed) on the Linux box. Apache access_log and error_log
do not show any events associated with a connection attempt from outside
the local LAN.

Any ideas?

-Victor