[TriLUG] talk problem

Ralph Blach rcblach at blach.dnsalias.org
Thu Aug 26 12:10:12 EDT 2004

I need to start the talk deamon on my machine.  when I start xinetd in
the debug mode, I get
this message

the machine is a redhat 9.0 x86 machine

Starting xinetd with the  -d option I get

Service configuration: talk
        id = talk
        flags = IPv4
        socket_type = dgram
        Protocol (name,number) = (udp,17)
        port = 517
        Groups = no
        PER_SOURCE = -1
        Bind = All addresses.
        Server = /usr/sbin/in.talkd
        Server argv = in.talkd -d
        Only from: All sites
        No access: No blocked sites
        Logging to syslog. Facility = authpriv, level = info
        Log_on_success flags = HOST PID
        Log_on_failure flags = HOST

This seems to indicate that the talk deamon started ok

my /etc/xinet.d/talk file has

# default: off
users \
#    on other systems.
service talk
{
    flags            = IPv4
    disable            = no
    socket_type        = dgram
    protocol            = udp
    wait            = yes
    user            = nobody
    group            = tty
    server            = /usr/sbin/in.talkd
    server_args             = -d

}

and my host.allow file has
talk:127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0, 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0,
10.1.0.0/255.255.255.252:allow

But when I start talk I get this message

 Error on read from talk daemon: Connection refused. Press any key... ]

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Chip