[TriLUG] recommendations for professional resume help

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Thu Aug 26 18:13:03 EDT 2004

1. Be clear and concise.  One page only.  Make sure it is very well organized
so that on first glance, the reader instantly understands what information is
where.

2. List accomplishments instead of responsibilities.  For example: "Software
engineer for XYZ Inc. responsible for designing lots of software." vs
"Software engineer for XYZ Inc.-- designed ____, _____, and _____ software
suites which turned record-breaking profit."

3. Your resume gets a maximum of 30-45 seconds review.  Stick to what's
important, and if you have any differentiating characteristics, make sure
they stand out!  Don't be afraid to put key words in bold, even mid-sentence.

Contact info across the top, with name in big print in upper-left corner.

Start with an "Objective", and make sure it fits with the job to which you are
applying!  You should review and likely modify this before each use.

Other sections to consider, in order:

Curent Status
Accomplishments
Work Experience (chronological order from most recent)
Degrees/Licenses/Professional Associations
References (try to pick people from different parts of your career. If two
references know each other well, keep looking.)

Find some examples online.  Particularly look for resumes of people who are
responsible for hiring!  I'll post mine later if I can dig it up.  Post back
here when you have something or if you have questions.

Michael