[TriLUG] recommendations for professional resume help

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Aug 27 00:51:56 EDT 2004

Michael Hrivnak said the following on 8/26/04 6:13 PM:

> 1. Be clear and concise.  One page only.  Make sure it is very well organized
> so that on first glance, the reader instantly understands what information is
> where.

I don't think keeping it on one page is as important as being well organized.
If you need to, continue it onto a second page.  I wouldn't go past that if
I could because with just two pages you can do front and back but with more
you have to deal with staples and the potential of losing the second page, etc..

> 2. List accomplishments instead of responsibilities.  For example: "Software
> engineer for XYZ Inc. responsible for designing lots of software." vs
> "Software engineer for XYZ Inc.-- designed ____, _____, and _____ software
> suites which turned record-breaking profit."
>
> 3. Your resume gets a maximum of 30-45 seconds review.  Stick to what's
> important, and if you have any differentiating characteristics, make sure
> they stand out!  Don't be afraid to put key words in bold, even mid-sentence.

Along with this, put a section at the top of the resume highlighting things
you want to bring out.  For an example, see my resume: O:-)

http://wtl.wayfarer.org/resume.html

This allows you to draw out things you want a potential employer to see.

> Contact info across the top, with name in big print in upper-left corner.
>
> Start with an "Objective", and make sure it fits with the job to which you are
> applying!  You should review and likely modify this before each use.

Having an "Objective", I think, isn't necessarily a good idea.  Why give
a reason to reject you (i.e. if you don't match the position).  I much
prefer having an "Overview" section where you can draw out items of interest.

> Other sections to consider, in order:
>
> Curent Status
> Accomplishments
> Work Experience (chronological order from most recent)
> Degrees/Licenses/Professional Associations
> References (try to pick people from different parts of your career. If two
> references know each other well, keep looking.)

Other things to add:

Academic Experience (if you've done interesting projects in school, especially
grad school)

Personal (if you speak a foreign language, have a license in something, add it)

Open Source Experience (have you worked on an OS project?  Put it down...)

> Find some examples online.  Particularly look for resumes of people who are
> responsible for hiring!  I'll post mine later if I can dig it up.  Post back
> here when you have something or if you have questions.

I'd also suggest looking into XML Resume:  http://xmlresume.sourceforge.net/
And, go to your local library and check out "What Color is Your Parachute?"

Good luck,
Tanner