[TriLUG] recommendations for professional resume help

Matthew Lavigne mattchew.latreen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 06:13:32 EDT 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:13:03 -0400, Michael Hrivnak
<mhrivnak at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> 1. Be clear and concise.  One page only.  Make sure it is very well organized
> so that on first glance, the reader instantly understands what information is
> where.

Maybe, but I agree with Tanner - a second page IF you need it

> 3. Your resume gets a maximum of 30-45 seconds review.  Stick to what's
> important, and if you have any differentiating characteristics, make sure
> they stand out!  Don't be afraid to put key words in bold, even mid-sentence.

The review time- true

BOLD in mid-sentence... NOPE- personally when I review a resume if I
find it has what appear to be random words (usually key words from my
job descriptions) bolded. It goes into the "review later if you have
no better candidates" pile.  Why? because I interpret that as saying
"hey stupid here is the word you are looking for".  If you are going
to bold do it with phrases(but preferably not at all)

> Other sections to consider, in order:
>
> Curent Status

Irrelevant- I know people that if you put that you are currently
employed, you will go to the bottom of the stack. Why some people
would rather hire someone that is currenly unemployed as they may be
hungry for the work and will work harder.

Just my opinions and observations as someone that usually hires a body
every 6 months or so.

Matthew Lavigne