[TriLUG] Re: broadband option in the Triangle area

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sat Aug 28 17:01:25 EDT 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Lance A. Brown wrote:

> Jeremy West wrote:
> > You know the only thing I despise about RR, is when I call tech support.  They
> > give me the standard first question on which o/s I'm using.  When I respond
> > linux, they say say that they don't support linux.  Last time I called I was
> > calling because we had severe packet loss.  I tried telling the guy I ddin't
> > want help with linux, and that I wanted someone to take a look at my packet
> > loss issue.  All he wanted to do was have me reboot my computer, clear my
> > dns, etc.  He wouldn't even help me because I was using linux.  Drove me
> > nuts.
>
> Any time I have to call RR for support I push through the first line
> support at the first hint of non-helpfulness from them because I'm
> running Linux.  I never call them unless it's something not on my
> computer anyway so hassling with the first-line script droids isn't
> worth it.

I've never had an RR support technician really care about the operating
system.  You just have to quickly explain your problem before they have a
chance to go into their script.  If they ask, just deflect the question, I
often say something like, "Well actually, I'm not having a problem with my
computer or operating system, it's a problem with the cable modem."  They
usually accept that.

I've never had to escalate to a higher-level; the first-line droids do
have the authority to send a technician.  They do make you reboot the
modem a few times (which of course I'd already done), but that's no big
deal.

Jeremy