[TriLUG] WRT54G as WAP

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 12:08:09 EDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:35:00 -0400, Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple of questions to flush out some ideas though: Does your
> Windows machine get a DHCP address from your DHCP server?  Or is it
> all static?  If you turn off wep and ETC, can you connect?  Remove
> complexity to the simplest setup (no wep, no MAC filtering), and then
> gradually increase complexity until it breaks.  Good luck.

Well, I've tried various things.

Since I can't GET to the DHCP server I've set the Laptop up with a
static address in the same subnet. I've never turned on MAC filtering.

I just turned off WEP it's the same thing.  I'm on hold with Linksys
support right now.

I guess at the least I'll be able to give my neighbor who works for
Cisco a hard time. <G>

I'm looking forward to next weeks meeting. As I said, I'd rather not
start out by hacking this thing, but...  I'm less interested in what
seems like the typical hacks for this like setting up a neighborhood
area LAN, but more on how to increase security and maybe run a little
more functional DHCP server on it than what's in the Netgear router.