[TriLUG] a head-scratcher left over from monday: dovecot?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Sep 1 10:03:32 EDT 2004

Jeremy suggested:
> I would suggest deleting the dovecot indexes, which will cause them to
> be re-created.  On my system, dovecot keeps its indices in
> /home/$USER/mail/.imap/  (with a directory for each mail folder, such as
> INBOX).  Delete those directories for the mail folders, and then try
> re-connecting with IMAP or POP3.  It should rebuild the indexes and fix
> the problem.

I wiped out the entire /home/trapt/mail directory, which did include the
structure you described.  The next OE Send/Receive cycle did cause them to
be rebuilt, but it is still reporting no messages.  Now there are actually
27 messages as reported by mail -u trapt.

Jeremy also said:
> Also, why are you using a separate Unix user for the spam messages?
> Wouldn't it make more sense to just send the spam to a different folder,
> and use IMAP instead of POP3 on the client?

Perhaps it would; I went the unix-user route because that is the paradigm
with which I am already most familiar.  I already know how to do everything
I want to do within that paradigm, and this was a "get it working quick"
situation.  I'm always interested in learning new/better ways, so that's
something I'll look into.

As a side note, how difficult is it to tell sendmail to refuse to deliver
mail to a particular box?  For ease of sorting within Webmin's interface,
I've a couple user mailboxes for manually-sorted spam and ham, and I'd like
to make sure that some spammer doesn't inadvertently discover my
ham-containing mailbox and send spam directly to it.  Obviously what Jeremy
mentioned with folders would be one solution, but I am curious if I can
avoid overhauling the rest of my procedures just yet...

Continuing cheers,
~Brian