[TriLUG] Squid proxy guidelines

Dan Monjar dan at daijin.dissimulo.com
Wed Sep 1 13:53:32 EDT 2004

--On Wednesday, September 01, 2004 12:48:57 PM -0400 Jeremy Portzer
<jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:

> <newbie question>
> How did you get that list of stats?
> </newbie question>
>
> I run squid but there are only a few clients so I probably don't have
> very good performance.

You build from source?  In the 'src' directory of the distribution (for
mine it is /usr/local/src/squid-2.5.STABLE5/src/) you'll find cachemgr.cgi.
Throw that in your cgibin directory of your apache server and they go to
it.  You'll find ALL kinds of stats there.  Most of which I don't have a
clue how to use.  The ones I pulled up come from the General Runtime
Information page.  Here's the top level page of cachemgr.cgi:

Memory Utilization
Callback Data Registry Contents
Event Queue
Current Squid Configuration (hidden).
comm_incoming() stats
IP Cache Stats and Contents
FQDN Cache Stats and Contents
Internal DNS Statistics
External ACL stats
HTTP Header Statistics
This Cachemanager Menu
Shut Down the Squid Process (hidden).
Toggle offline_mode setting (hidden).
General Runtime Information
Process Filedescriptor Allocation
All Cache Objects
In-Memory and In-Transit Objects
Objects with Swapout files open
Server-side network read() size histograms
Traffic and Resource Counters
Peer Selection Algorithms
Cache Digest and ICP blob
5 Minute Average of Counters
60 Minute Average of Counters
Cache Utilization
Full Histogram Counts
Client-side Active Requests
Store Directory Stats
storeCheckCachable() Stats
Store IO Interface Stats
Persistent Connection Utilization Histograms
Refresh Algorithm Statistics
Request Forwarding Statistics
Cache Client List
AS Number Database