[TriLUG] Squid proxy guidelines

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 17:12:44 EDT 2004

Dan, those are excellent stats.

I run a squid cluster for a large government client and we average about
a 25% hit from cache - which my clients are extremely happy about.

>From what I've seen in industry, anything above 20% is good.

Jeremy - you generate these stats from the log files. There is a perl
program that comes with Squid that lets you parse the log file for
exactly the stats shown below...

I've written my own parsers in Python.  They let my clients run various
web usage reports (for individuals and for groups).

Jon