[TriLUG] Gmail for nonprofits

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Sep 1 16:31:32 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 16:21, Matt Frye wrote:
> TriLUGgers,
>   I recently implemented a cheap, easy, and relatively "good" backup
> system using Gmail and Gmailfs at a nonprofit client.  I currently
> have 6 invites, which I am willing to give to any person who intends
> to do the same thing (or something like it).  The only condition is
> that you write a short case history kind-of-thing that explains how it
> was done, what it saves (people, time, money, etc) and who the
> nonprofit benefits.  Consider yourselves challenged.

Matt,

It seems that most people who want a gmail account have already gotten
one, and there are plenty of invites to go around.  I have a feeling
that it will probably be opened to the 'general public' soon anyway,
given how fast everyone's invites are replenished.

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but there has probably already
been quite enough discussion on how to get a gmail invite!  :-)

Also, what does Google's terms-of-service for the e-mail accounts say
about using it for 'storage' like that?  I would be extremely wary of
using something like that for important data; after all, that's not what
it's designed for.  It's supposed to be for e-mail.

Jeremy