[TriLUG] Re: Survey for class focal points

ALFRED JOHNSON alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 1 17:40:34 EDT 2004

All this sounds interesting, and useful. However, I'd like for us to do
something which we used to do, which is to discuss the BASICS for ALL
Linux users. For example, the meeting we had on RPMs, clearly
disappointed a good number of people because it had very little
PRACTICAL information on using RPMs Instead it focused on the Red Hat
history and politics of RPM development. If you recall we had an
overflow crowd that night, but the comments we heard leaving that
meeting was that a lot of folks were disappointed because they were
expecting something more practical. I would just like to see somebody
stand up and in one night give the minimum you need to know to keep
Linux running on a desktop, without all the fluff. In other words,
something for the newbies once in a while. If we don't do this, I can
guarantee you that we'll lose a lot of new members. I've discovered
that everyone needs to brush up on the basics because the rapid pace of
Linux software development is literally making everyone a "Linux
newbie". -- Al Johnson.