[TriLUG] Weird CUPS printing problem

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at futeki.net
Thu Sep 2 19:52:07 EDT 2004

My only experience with Win->CUPS printing is at home with my roommate's
XP laptop, but it works and I'll tell you how:

I use IPP not Samba.  When setting up the printer in XP, choose network
printer, then URL.  The URL goes something like:
http://$server:631/printers/$printer
Replace $server with the CUPS server IP and $printer with the name of
the printer in CUPS.

If windows can talk to CUPS you'll be asked to select a driver,
otherwise you'll still be stuck at the URL input dialog.

Of course you need to allow incoming connections on tcp 631 in iptables
or whatever else you're using for network equipment.

Hope this helps, good luck
-Tim
--
Timothy A. Chagnon <tchagnon at futeki.net>