[TriLUG] Linux forums other than trilug?

Matthew Lavigne mattchew.latreen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 09:37:13 EDT 2004

Looking at your original question here are a few for you:

1. is the boot still on hda?  if so then you will need to ensure that
you edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf there.

2. have you installed linux before on the disk that you are using for
hdb?  If so and you user using the BIOS to boot to the secondary hard
drive on the Primary channel (hdb) then you will need to ensure that
you run grub-install /dev/hdb

3. what is your fstab setup as and what is the label on hdb?  that may
be causing some issues.

I would be inclined to think that you will need to get grub configured
by chrooting in to the hdb then doing grub-install

Could  you list the partition information (ie hda1 = /boot, hdb1 = /) fully?

Looking at your grub.conf the question that I have is that have you
run grub-install? and is so how (ie using what parameters?)

Where is the boot that you are trying to boot to right now?  is hda
the only active partition?

> > default=0
> > timeout=10
> > splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
> >         root (hd0,7)
> >         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=/dev/hda8
> >         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
> > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8 new hard drive)
> >         root (hd1,0)
> >         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=/dev/hdb1
> >         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img

> > /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 was copied using cp -avx from /dev/hda8 to /dev/hdb1
> > (while they were both mounted from using Knoppix).  I ran rdev to switch
> > /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8 on /dev/hdb1's root device to /dev/hdb.
>
> That's it.  :-/  I copied all of the files from one partition to another (when
> they were both mounted under Knoppix) and tried to boot.  The file really is
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 when I mount it under Knoppix or my initial hard drive
> (hd0,7).  Grub is the only thing that seems to see all of those (System.map,
> vmlinuz, initrd, etc.) as 2.4.18-3.  Where does it get that number?  If I
> change grub.conf to say that the kernel on (hd1,0) is vmlinux-2.4.18-3, then
> grub will try to boot it, but then it can't find /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/, of
> course.  Ugh!
>
> I'm just about to report a bug in grub because I can't figure out how else to
> determine where 2.4.18 is coming from.

<snip> ---Tom

Worst case bring it to the installfest on the 18th (if you can) and I
will give you a hand bailing it out..