[TriLUG] Sort of OT Job Posting or The quasi-literate at work

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 13 17:31:30 EDT 2004

On Monday, Sep 13, 2004, at 14:29 US/Eastern, Mike M wrote:

>  Now
> if they decide to bust-ass and work on a 1099, the young folk might be
> in trouble. Place your bets.

That's not if, but when.  And when is now.  At least for me and about a
dozen other folks I know who are in my shoes.  I would expect the
competition for 1099 work to get even more stiff in the coming months
and years.

Yikes.  This thread is starting to have shades of similar industries
that
have gone through a tremendous downsizing.  Once salaries drop and
the power pools back with the company rather than the worker you'll
start to hear more and more grumbles about Unions.  Granted I haven't
heard that come up, yet, but I wouldn't be too surprised if I saw an add
in the paper in the next 12-18 months from a union who was placed as
the single-source labor supplier for a large, local telecom provider.

Once a local computer catch-all "we can do anything at half the rate
you can" union labor pool shows up, if it does, then things are going
to get very, very interesting around these parts.

That's just my apocalyptic vision for the future that I hope doesn't
come true.

Greg