[TriLUG] Any problems with a 160 GB IDE disk?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Sep 14 13:58:12 EDT 2004

> One instance in my experience is to the contrary.  My PII 400 system
> will not load the boot loader off my 60GB drive.  It sits there and
> dumbly refuses to do anything whatsoever :).  I've used both a smaller
> drive, and a boot disk with grub to solve this issue.  Grub sees the
> drive just fine, but the bios won't load the boot loader from the drive
> (tried both grub and lilo).
>
> David

I am certainly no authority on this topic, and I hope I'm not insulting your
intelligence by mentioning these two things that came to mind about a BIOS
that won't load what ought to be a proper boot partition:
- Is its position in the IDE (or whatever) chain relevant?  It shouldn't be,
but then again...
- Is the partition properly marked as a bootable partition?  Is the MBR
correct?
I'd just be curious to know, if those things are all in line, what would
cause a particular disk to simply not boot..  Did you ever fully figure it
out?

Cheers,
~Brian