[TriLUG] Any problems with a 160 GB IDE disk?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Tue Sep 14 14:42:17 EDT 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 08:41 pm, David Rasch wrote:

> I had good luck on one of my systems disabling the hard disk in the
> bios (the bios only detected 138GB of 200GB).  With the drive disabled
> in the bios, linux finds it just fine at the full size!

Cool.

The rest of this thread about booting off of the drive is somewhat irrelevant
to me since /boot is on a 40 GB drive in the same box.  I bought this drive
so that I can dump a bunch of data to it.  At the rate I use disk space, I'd
be surprised if I can ever fill half the drive unless I suddenly get bit by
the video editing bug and buy a digital video camera (not likely).  I just
hated running out of space when I had something like a bunch of ISOs to
download, so I wanted to create a nice big directory where I can dump
downloads, music files, etc.

Sounds like I'm all set...partitioning now.  :-)

Thanks,
---Tom