[TriLUG] Any problems with a 160 GB IDE disk?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Sep 14 14:48:39 EDT 2004

David Rasch wrote:

>One instance in my experience is to the contrary.  My PII 400 system
>will not load the boot loader off my 60GB drive.  It sits there and
>dumbly refuses to do anything whatsoever :).  I've used both a smaller
>drive, and a boot disk with grub to solve this issue.  Grub sees the
>drive just fine, but the bios won't load the boot loader from the drive
>(tried both grub and lilo).
>
>David

I suppose it depends on the failure mode of the BIOS.  If you can get it
to go ahead and try to boot the boot loader, even if it thinks the disk
is smaller than it actually is, you may be able to work around the
problem.  On the other hand, if the BIOS fails less gracefully (i.e.
hangs when attempting to access a drive that reports itself as too
large, doesn't attempt to boot to what it sees as a bogus device, etc) -
it may not work out so conveniently.

Aaron S. Joyner