[TriLUG] Monitoring Samba Bandwidth?

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Thu Sep 16 10:47:52 EDT 2004

Jason,

Yes, running smb across the WAN is odd. ;) However, it works... I also
run FTP/SFTP, WebDAV, SSH (of course) and I used to run Netatalk... I
strongly prefer people use SFTP or scp for file transfers, and WebDAV
second to that... but this guy specifically asked to "map a network
drive under windows" and Samba was the only tool I was aware of that
could do that. From my brief research, the passwords are not very well
encrypted when they are sent across the net (can anyone confirm/deny
this?), but then again, FTP passwords aren't encrypted at all... so...
Probably not the most effective or secure solution, but it's what I'm
being paid for ;)

What is fish?

-Josh