[TriLUG] TCP socket connections in Linux, gathering data from embedded device - - was WGET-LYNX??

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 16:29:02 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 11:25:24AM -0700, Turnpike Man wrote:
> This means something can be written to listen on said TCP port, however,
> whatever, C/C++, perl, python, eh... I guess I don't care, I think I have gcc
> libs already available to me in my minimum installs, in fact I know I have gcc.
>  How to find out what this data looks like, then what to do with it, that's
> where I'm at.

Are you asking for help with language choice for development or how to
decompose a TCP/IP packet in a particular language, both, or neither?

You want to listen on a TCP port as a server using the listen system
call or do you want to listen as a passive monitor would listen?

If you to do C, I can send along a makefile and source starter
kit for TCP/IP banging.  It's possible to bit-bang with Python and PERL
but they're not made for such tasks. I've abandoned C++ and STL for a
couple of reasons.  I have TCP/IP Illustrated (v1 & 2) on my shelf.

(Sorry, I didn't follow the thread until now. I may be way off base with
my reply.  If so, sorry.)
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.